Highlighted below are some of this week’s emerging trends and insights. As trends emerge and change, you will see that the topics covered each week may also vary.
- Instagram: Tools and Tips to Help Marketers Inspire and Engage on Instagram
- The book features 11 brands who have found Instagram success by posting engaging content.
- The book will not be released publically, but rather to those brands who are likely to spend ad dollars on Instagram. For everyone else there will be a series of blog posts on the company’s business Tumblr.
- eMarketer: Social Commerce: Influencing Shoppers and Assisting Sales
- Product reviews were the leading digital tool that influenced US internet users to shop at a specific retailer (39%).
- Retailer social media was also relatively influential (30%) and performed especially well at inspiring users to buy products or brands they had not bought before (23%).
- Learning about products was the top reason for following brands on Facebook, Pinterest, and perhaps surprisingly, YouTube, which had a strong 61%.
- More than half (55%) used a mobile device for retailer social media.
- Google & comScore Partner for Real-Time Ad Measurement
- Google is integrating comScore’s Validated Campaign Essentials, or vCE, measurement technology into its DoubleClick ad business.
- The combination will let advertisers and publishers track online ads in near real time, allowing them to change things on the fly if campaigns are not performing as expected.
- The addition of vCE will also help Google share more data with advertisers about what types of people see their ads and what their interests are.
- The end game is to integrate this with TV measurement
- CNET: Mozilla to sell New Tab page ads in Firefox
- Called Directory Tiles, the initiative will use a combination of sponsored sites, popular sites based on geographic location, and Mozilla ecosystem items to fill in blank New Tab pages.
- The Directory Tiles will appear only to new Firefox users, or people who have re-installed their browser.
- Once the user has browsed enough to satisfy the needs of the “frecency” algorithm, which combines the frequency and recency with which the user visits a Web site, the Directory Tiles will be automatically replaced with content more relevant to the user.
- Nielsen Report: The US Digital Consumer
- US adults spent on average 34 hours per month using the mobile internet on smartphones. By comparison, they spend 27 hours on the PC internet.
- Apps capture 86% of usage. Only 14% of smartphone internet access time comes via the mobile web.
- 84% of smartphone and tablet owners say they use their devices as second-screens while watching TV at the same time.
- 4% of smartphone owners use social media daily.
- eMarketer Report: The State of Digital Display 2014: An Industry Readying Itself for Brand Advertisers
- eMarketer explores how four main digital display advertising trends will both manifest and intersect in 2014:
- The focus will continue to shift from standard display ad units to more dynamic, engaging ad units.
- Programmatic direct will emerge as a primary vehicle to pair those richer ad units with consumer data.
- Marketers will look beyond behavioral web data to better understand their customers and reach those customers across devices.
- The viewable impression standard will finally become just that—a standard.
- PFX employees can access the full report here.
Thanks for your time!
Planning & Strategy Team